- The purpose of this study was to assess the prevalence and associated factors of refractive error among primary school children.
- This was an institution based cross-sectional study conducted with 1,800 students in four elementary schools in Arada and Gullele sub cities.
- Refractive errors that can be corrected by spectacle in either eye or both were present in 71 students (4%).
- Of 71 students, 19 (26.7%) had myopia, 12 (17%) of them had Astigmatism, 10 (14%) of them were with Myopic astigmatism, 6 (8.4%) of them had Hyperopia, and 3 (4.2%) of them had Hyperopic astigmatism on both eyes, 21(29.6%) participants.
- There was an association of age, sex, visual impairment and history of ocular injury with refractive error.
- Refractive error is a common problem in school age children. The problem is common among female. Myopia is the commonest type of refractive error.
Published in 2014.
Click on the link below to access the full article: