The mission of the Vision Impact Institute is to raise awareness about the importance of healthy vision, including the socio-economic impact of Uncorrected Refractive Errors (URE) and quality of life benefits of visual correction.
- To be the voice of vision by gathering and communicating pertinent information to all stakeholders, including government policy makers, optical industry associates and the general public, to mobilize a world-wide movement on visual impairment advocacy.
- Offer a unique database of global peer reviewed reports and studies to build evidence on the need for visual correction and overall visual health.
- Engage key opinion leaders worldwide by participating in optical, healthcare and government conventions and fostering a collaborative approach to improve overall visual health.
- Advocate for action (eye screening, eye examination, provision of optical correction, policy change) and position good visual health as a priority to improve the lives of people around the world.
- Implement a sustainable process of communication on an ongoing basis on the importance of good vision, new information.
- Reinforce a process of Systematic Literature Review (SLR), which conforms to international standards, performed by an independent institute monitored by a reputed advisory board.
- Encourage research where needed in areas where gaps in data exist.
- Engage industry partners to build a collaborative approach.
- Evaluate cross-industry partnerships to capture opportunities to raise awareness.
- Actively engage a larger audience of policymakers, eyecare professionals, NGOs and others globally in order to inspire and advocate for overall vision health.
- Foster relationships with research and training institutions to encourage research that enhances the database of the institute and to raise awareness.
- Attend annual conventions to encourage speaking engagements, networking events and participate in media outreach regarding the importance of addressing vision impairment and the need to give vision a voice.
The Vision Impact Institute is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, fully funded by the Essilor Social Impact Fund. Our governing board members are David Milan, General Counsel and Vice President of Legal, Essilor of America; Kevin Rupp, Executive Vice President, CFO, Essilor of America; and Jayanth Bhuvaraghan, Chief Corporate Mission Officer, Essilor International.